Thursday, May 2, 2013

Reflection Essay


During this project, the biggest struggle in my opinion was trying to figure out one thing to focus on. Another struggle that occurred was that when we were starting to take film, the black student union was done with having their weekly meetings. Because this happened, we had to figure out how we were going to film the black student union in action. After talking to one of the leaders, they told me that I could film their events that were going on the following week. This was the biggest struggle for the group because we were not sure what else we should do since there weren’t any more meetings and we were not sure where we should go from there.

What makes me most proud of the documentary is how we were still able to find some action on the BSU that we were able to film. I was worried about the way it was going to turn out but I am proud of the fact that our group was able to find an alternative solution of not being about to go to a meeting. We filmed shots around campus, put it into the documentary where it would fit the best and it turned out better than I had expected. I was able to film events that made the documentary interesting at the beginning and the end.

The aspect of the documentary that I would have changed is the main focus of the video. We wanted to focus more on the issues involving with the black student union. The three people that we had interviewed did not give us much information on the issues that went on in the organization, so we had to just work with what we had. Therefore our thesis had to change a little.

If I had six months to work on this project I would have interviewed more group members to find out their opinions of issues that are involved with the organization. By doing that we probably would have found a main issue to focus on. If we had longer time to work on the documentary, I would have wanted the video to have more shots and more voiceovers. If we had more time to work on it, we probably would have gotten a chance to sit in a meeting where we could have filmed them talking about issues.

For this project I was responsible for the filming and the interviews. I checked out the camera and did a lot of the filming and shots. I was responsible for setting up the interviews and going to the events to take shots. I helped a little bit with the narration and putting the video together but my overall job was filming and setting up interviews.

To promote a healthy atmosphere, I had everyone’s email and almost everyone’s phone number so contacting someone was not a problem. I was always nice and asked everyone’s opinion on whether they liked this better or that better. When deciding on something I made sure everyone was okay with it. We were always emailing each other about times and places that we were going to meet so there was no confusion. I feel like I contributed a great amount to the overall project. I think I put in a good amount and really helped out. I don’t think there was more I could have done because I feel that I had done a lot with this project. Overall, I was satisfied with how our documentary turned out.

No comments:

Post a Comment