Friday, November 2, 2012

Final Documentary Proposal

For my documentary, I am going to find out why people choose to follow certain people on Twitter and why they do not follow other people back. I am going to find out why people follow others who they do not know or never met. What makes you want to follow people you do not know but not follow people you do know? What makes people want to unfollow others? Why do you continue to follow someone who doesn't follow you back? My audience is going to be UK freshmen. I plan on interviewing college freshmen on campus to get the information that I need. I want to ask people if they follow back everybody that follows them and if not, why. I will be asking why they follow people they do not know and if so have they ever met them in person. If I can I would like to find people who actually became friends on Twitter. I want to ask them what made them follow each other since they didn't know each other at all. I want them to let us know how did they start talking to each other and did they feel like friends before actually meeting. Another thing I would like to know is if they appeared the same in person from what you thought of them on Twitter. What made them want to meet in person?  I will be shooting the documentary all around the campus and take some shots outdoors as well as indoors. I plan on talking to the people that I became friends with on Twitter and ask them these questions. I would like to talk to my followers and the people that I follow and film them being interviewed. 
This is important because I want the audience to know that the people who you follow may tell who you want to surround yourself with or have things in common with or who you want to be. What does this say about you?
My thesis will be if you can’t change the people around you, CHANGE the people around you. If you don’t like a person that you follow you can easily change that by unfollowing them. It is like choosing the people that you surround yourself with. You can change it by a click of a button.
I can arrange the footage by first talking about this topic, showing shots of the campus and then showing the people I am going to interview. The last part of the documentary I want to show people telling the story of the friend or friends they met on Twitter without knowing them first. If I can I would like to have both of them together in  the footage talking about how did they became connected over a social site.
I plan on doing all the filming within a week or two. This should be enough time to get all the footage that I will need to use for this documentary.

1 comment:

  1. Your thesis is clear, but I'm not sure how you're going to get that out with the footage you're talking about shooting. Essentially, you'll want to talk to people who follow people they don't like and find out why.

    ReplyDelete