Tuesday, October 2, 2012

TIB Becoming a Parent Is a Gift

Becoming a Parent Is a Gift is the “This I Believe” essay that I just listened to. Chris Huntington is the author of this essay. He and his wife wanted a child so bad but they were unable to have one. This made both of them very depressed because they really wanted a child of their own. Since they couldn’t have a child the old fashioned way, they decided to consider adoption. He believed that a family doesn’t always have to be traditional. His child doesn’t have to look like him but he wants to be a father. He and his wife adopted a Chinese girl. He wanted to give this girl a family and open up their home to her since her parents didn’t want her. This wasn’t the only reason. He wanted to be a father. It brought joy to him to know that he will be raising a baby girl. He was giving her a home and she was giving them a family. It wasn’t important to him anymore that she won’t look anything like them, but she would call him dad and be in a loving home. He grew up knowing about traditional family but considered adoption when he and his wife were unable to have their own children. I really like this essay. As I was listening to the essay, I felt his pain and sadness. I could tell that this was very personal to him. I can feel the emotion in his voice as he was telling the story. I enjoyed listening to Chris tell his story. It was interesting and I felt their pain when he was talking about how upset they were seeing other people with their children or other women pregnant so they decided to stop going to parks. Even though I can’t relate to this story from personal experience I felt the hurt in his voice when listening to this. I felt the joy when he adopted a baby girl and realized that he can finally be a father that he had wanted to be for so long and he can have the family he always wanted.

No comments:

Post a Comment