Monday, October 8, 2012

TIB rough draft

Twitter is a diary. Facebook is similar to this as well. Social media is that mutual friend that gets you acquainted.  I didn’t think about it like that before. On these sites I easily talk to people that I do not know. I believe in Social Networks and how it makes communication easier and how it lets you come out of your shell to say things that you normally wouldn’t say in person.
Both of these sites made it easy for me to talk to people. I am a quiet person so talking to new people can be difficult. Two years ago I met my boyfriend in this driving class. He added me on Facebook that same week. Every time he seen that I was online he instant messaged me. We went to different high schools so we barely seen each other unless we made plans to meet up or accidently ran into each other at Wal-Mart. Me and him would chat on Facebook about five times a week for a little over a month. After that we started to hang out and been doing good ever since. It wasn’t awkward to talk to him when I hung out with him for the first time because I felt like I knew him pretty well since we talked so much online. Therefore I was comfortable.
 Making friends can take me a while.  Before I came to college, I met a lot of people on Twitter that were in the same boat as me. I was going to be a freshman at the University of Kentucky and wasn’t going to know a lot of people. I had this is in common with plenty of the people that I met on Twitter this past summer. During the summer I talked to a lot of them and can relate to plenty of their tweets. I would start a conversation with them and they would start a conversation with me. We built a bond over this site so when I got to campus I met a lot of them in person so I already had friends when I arrived to college. The first weeks arriving on campus it was helpful knowing people that I can hang out with and have things in common with.
Social Networks act as that mutual friend that gets you acquainted. Twitter and Facebook makes it easy to talk to people especially the ones that I don’t know very well. I probably wouldn’t have known the people I do know now if it wasn't for these sites. These haven’t been just a social network to me, but my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment