Thursday, October 4, 2012

TIB that didn't interest me

The “This I Believe” essay I listened to was called “Never Give Up” by Mary Curran Hackett. She was talking about every since she was young her father always givin her and her siblings lectures on life and how to achieve to be the best. He started these lectures when she was only five years old. In sports, if she were to miss a free throw or got three strikes, her father would lecture about that. This is something she went through her whole life. Her father would also tell her to never give up on anything. Only the strongest survive. She felt like no matter how hard she worked or how hard she tried he was always giving her and her siblings lectures. He would always say if you give up you will never win and someone else would take over. She didn’t care too much for the lectures. She got pregnant young and was living alone and was about to be a single mother. She called her dad saying that she has givin up. She felt like she disappointed him and couldn’t look at him in the face when they packed up the apartment and drove back home. She then realized her father never gave up on her so now she wasn’t going to start giving up on herself. She suffered through the struggle of having to raise a child on her own and working and not having a lot of money. Every day she heard her father’s voice in her head and realized that she will never give up. I wasn’t interested in this story when I first started listing to it. It didn’t seem like anything that I could relate to. As I got closer to the end of the story I began to like it. I didn’t know it was going to end the way it did. It sounded to me that her father was strict and that didn’t interest me to listen or read this story. It was a good story in my opinion. She realized in the end her father’s words meant so much when she needed him the most.

No comments:

Post a Comment